Monday, April 2, 2012

Cheap Eats - Refried Beans

Blessings Darlings!

I haven't focused on cheap eats recently, and given the economy I really should.

Tonight's dinner is going to be the Taco recipe I posted before, the half beef/half bean taco mix.  A fact I forgot about last night before going to bed - I had planned to start soaking the beans then.

But I didn't.  I DID remember them when I awoke at 1 am. And hauled my sorry butt to the kitchen to sort, wash, and start soaking two cups of dry black beans.

Have I mentioned that I tend to be my own worst enemy?  Then again, in my experience, that is true of us all.

This morning I drained the soaking liquid then pressure cooked the beans.  Since I only needed one pound of cooked beans, the two cups of dry beans resulted in FAR more beans than I needed.  Which is great, it allowed me to make refried beans.

I'm sure all y'all already know that 'refried' beans aren't 'refried' at all.  Refritos, in Spanish, means 'twice cooked'.  First the cooking to make them soft and edible, then the cooking with seasoning and mashing them to make then tasty and give them a creamy texture.

This is a VERY laid-back recipe.  I don't measure a damn thing, it's all mix/taste/adjust.

REFRIED BEANS

Several cups of cooked beans. Any type, really, except garbanzos, because then you'd be making hummus. I probably used around 3 cups this time, and the water left from cooking them.
A chopped onion. You pick the size. I used a large but not huge one.
Chili powder. I probably used  about a tablespoon
Salt, I used at least a teaspoon
Minced Garlic, I used 3 cloves this time. Mince this first - it allows antioxidants to develop
Pepper, black, I dunno how much, I ground the pepper mill for a bit.
Ground coriander seed, maybe 1/3 tsp?
Ground cumin seed, maybe 1/2 tsp?
Oregano, a dash or so.
 Some oil.

So, put 1 - 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a heavy pot.  Let it get shimmery over medium heat.  Add onions, cook 'till translucent.  Add minced garlic and seasonings, let them 'bloom' in the hot pan for 30 seconds.  Add beans.  Heat. Mash. Adjust seasonings, add water if needed. 

Serve with chips, or baked tortillas, or cut veggies. 

Frondly, Fern

1 comment: