Wednesday, April 25, 2012

End-Of-Storage Soup

Blessings Darlings!

Tonight there is a late spring snowstorm happening in the north east US.  Trees, which have already pretty much leafed out, are losing branches and bringing down power lines. Nevertheless, I'm fully in Spring mode, and have started making batches of "let me clean out last years dried veggies' soup. 

Today's soup is a pretty typical one: dried tomatoes, wild onions, jalapenos, celery, zucchini, along with wheat berries, chickpeas and the plantain leaves I posted about on Monday, in chicken stock.  I'll make another pot in a few days, with eggplant in for the zucchini ... and maybe dock weed in place of the plantain.  This weekend I'll make a pizza and turn the dried tomatoes into pizza sauce.

Very soon I'll be getting lots of veggies from the garden and fruits and veggies from local farms - I'm going to need every inch of shelf space and every available jar for canning.  If I don't use the older yummy stuff, I won't have room for the NEW yummy stuff.

And I need to start experimenting with this recipe for coffee jelly I ran into on line.  I'm thinking about kicking it up with cinnamon and/or hot pepper.  And giving it out as Yule gifts.

It's NEVER too early to get started on Yule gift when you're a reconstructionist, since preparing gifts by hand takes longer than spending money on 'em.

Frondly, Fern

No comments:

Post a Comment