Wednesday, October 13, 2010

S[e]ay[nce] What?

Blessings, Darlings!

That title is an amalgamation of 'say what' and 'seance', in case it was too confusing.                 

Being an American of European ancestry, I love my family ancestors.  They had the balls to get on ships, sail the Atlantic, and start a new life in a totally unknown continent.   None of them even knew the language here. 

They are one of the many types on ancestors I work to attune with at Samhain, along with ancestors of philosophy, religion, etc.  We worked it out to 9 types one year.

Which doesn't mean I'm all that comfortable in calling any of them by name to slip me some info on Samhain.

First - I believe in reincarnation, so I worry that they aren't available for disincarnate visitations because they are incarnate.  Second, because as I stated the other day, not every ancestor was particularly  nice or brilliant, and I don't see how, even if they are out and about in the Other Worlds, that has made them somehow the sharpest tack in the box.  Third, because some of them are likely hanging out in what they think THEIR religion's afterlife is .... and that does NOT involve being available for seances of any sort.

So - my grandfather has been dead for over 50 years.  I could invite him - but how long is he hanging out in the Jewish Avalon between incarnations?  How happy would he be to answer questions from a descendant not of his religion - the one he came here to practice (along with coming here for economic reasons)? And, let's not forget, that some of my cousins think that he was rather a douche.  Why would I invite a douche?

As a result, I don't tend to CALL on anyone in particular to visit at  Samhain.  I open myself to messages, but listen and consider the source.

Frondly, Fern

3 comments:

  1. Ah Fern...Douche ancestors. There's a high and likely possibility that I might steal, ahem, re-use that term at an upcoming samhain gathering! (I promise to give you author's credit)

    Gwion

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family tree is festooned with self-important douche balloons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can safely guess that my devoutly Catholic gran would curse me loudly from her heavenly cloud should I even attempt to contact her on Samhain and I think it would be disrespectful of me to try to do so. She believed that she would be sitting at the right hand of St. Peter and who am I to interrupt whatever conversation they may be having?

    ReplyDelete