Thursday, October 21, 2010

CPT #1

Blessings, Darlings!

I'm going to use "CPT" for the Cancer Prevention Tips series, just so you know.

And the first tip is one of the ones I'm finding hardest to implement - drop your body fat index to under 25%. Why? Because it seems that obesity increases the risk of cancers of the breast (postmenopausal), endometrium (the lining of the uterus), colon, kidney, and esophagus

I'm starting with this tip because this one takes the most time to reach, unlike a 'don't do this/do that' quickie. 

That said, I'm NOT willing to say that it's the obesity itself that directly ups the risk, although that could be it in some cases.  For esophageal cancer, for example, the largest risk factor is gastric reflux.  But being obese increases the rate of reflux, just because of the weight/pressure on the stomach pushing the contents up to the esophagus.  And, as we'll get into later, many of the activities involved in losing weight are also associated with lowering cancer risks.

So, to repeat - Cancer Prevention Tip #1 - start work towards dropping your weight.

Frondly, Fern

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to share a link to help people who are looking to lose weight in a way that is healthy and effective. It centers on eating healthy rather than eliminating particular foods from your diet, and also on effective workouts. It has some free pages with exercises and recipes, and the exercises can be done in only 15 minutes a day. I'm not getting kickbacks from them, I promise. I just used the system and dropped 25 lbs. in a few months. The ideal on this program is to lose 1-2 pounds a week. They also have an email list you can sign up for, which provides daily missions and positive messages. There is also a free, weekly radio show you can listen to online, and you can call in with questions. If you're willing to pay for their program, I've heard it's very useful, but I did not pay for anything myself. Here's the link: http://noexcusesworkouts.com

    ReplyDelete