Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Instant Rice

Blessings, Darlings!

I've discovered that I'm making instant rice today.  That wasn't really my plan, just a happy coincidence.

Original plan: Pie crust

My plan was to create a nightshade and gluten free recipe1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes for baked pie crust.  From there, I decided to go for a crispy crust and to go for a creamy filling.  First thought - get a box of crispy rice breakfast cereal, mix it with beaten egg white, form the crust and bake it. 

But the name brand product, and the generic spin offs, aren't actually gluten free.  I could go to supermarket and see if the gluten-free shelves have something appropriate, but I already have one day of car use scheduled this week.

Modification of Plan:

So, I figured I'd make Chinese Crispy Rice, such as is used in Crispy Rice (or Singing Rice) soup.  To do this, you make rice (kind of overcooking it - a full 30 minutes on the stove), then spread it no more than 1/4 inch thick on a baking pan.  Leave it in a 300 degree oven until dry.

Once dry, you deep fry it.  It puffs!  If you put it in hot soup, right after it's been fried and is still hot, it 'sings' and crackles.

My plan was to fry it, crumble it, THEN glue it together with egg white and bake it.  And I'm still doing that, but came to another realization....

Prepper Realization

So the first tray full of rice is drying in the oven.  I'm waiting for it to finish.  But, since I look at everything thru' Prepper eyes, it dawns on me....

If I take the dry cooked rice, I have instant rice.  Just add water.  Duh.  It could be mixed with dry veggies and a bouillion cube.  Add water, and it's a really nice side dish, not even the 15 minutes of white rice cooking involved, let alone the 45 minutes of brown rice cooking.

Double Duh.

Therefore....

Instead of just doing one tray of this, I'll be doing several.  I'll still hold enough 'fresh cooked' rice around for tonight's stir fry dinner, but there won't be leftover rice in my fridge tomorrow.  It will all be dried and in well-sealed jars.

Frondly, Fern 

1 comment:

  1. Thats a wonderful idea! I am going to have to try that and add it to our stockpiles! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete