Monday, January 10, 2011

Too Sweet?

Blessings, Darlings!

The Chubby Hubby and I aren't into desserts that hit you with intense sweetness and nothing else.  We prefer desserts with lots of flavor and moderate amounts of sugar.  The Spawn rather despairs at my habit of cutting the sugar in half in chocolate chip cookies and pies.

So I make things like well-spiced Oatmeal Raisin cookies typically, which we all enjoy.

But this holiday season, when every time the Chubby Hubby planned to make the Crescent cookies that I gave the recipe for last week something came up and he had to abandon the plan for that day, I hit the cookbooks to look for a cookie to make myself.  Having moved 3 boxes of cookbooks (yes, I DID get rid of some before we moved!), that took a while.  And deciding which recipe to try took a while, too.

I ended up making America's Test Kitchen's "Best Chocolate Butter Cookies", and they SO totally rocked that they seem destined to be a family favorite for years to come!  They take little sugar in the recipe, which is well to our taste, I could form them into a roll and slice and bake them which suits me better than rolling and using cookie cutters, and a simple glaze (or a dusting of powdered sugar) kicked them up for presentation.

The recipe is in America's Test Kitchen's "Family Baking Book" - we've nicknamed that one "Big Blue" (we call their "Family Favorites" cookbook "Big Red").  I love all their cookbooks, most of which we even have autographed by Christopher Kimball!  And all of which we bought ourselves, since ain't no one sending me review copies of ANYTHING for this blog.  Alas.

Frondly, Fern

No comments:

Post a Comment