Monday, September 10, 2012

Fern's Cole Slaw Recipe

Blessings Darlings!

When your lunches tend to be soup and a salad, as our lunches often are (well, we also have popcorn a lot), having a lot of salad options is a good thing.  Add that to the fact that cabbage is very healthy and usually cheaper than lettuce is, pound for pound .... cabbage based salads are something we eat a lot. 

Cole Slaw is one of the most common cabbage based salads around.  My standard recipe, the one I'm sharing here, isn't fancy or 'special'.  It's just basic Good Eats.  I've been making it once a week and we've been having it with lunch or dinner almost daily.  I DO admit I use reduced fat mayo rather than regular mayo OR making my own.  I might do it next with home-made, but let's face it - store bought mayo may not taste as good but it sure lasts longer in the fridge than home-made mayo does!

FERN'S BASIC COLE SLAW

4 Cups or so shredded green cabbage
1/3 or so cups of shredded red cabbage, if I happen to have any around
1 big or two small or so carrots, scraped and shredded.
juice of 1/4 lemon, or a splash from a bottle of lemon juice
mayonaise
Salt and pepper

Put the shredded veggies in a bowl.  Add the lemon juice, and enough mayo so it looks dressed.  My husband likes more, I like less.  I make it to my taste.  YMMV.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Mix. Eat.

There are sweet cole slaws, there are vinegar based cole slaws, etc - this is what the Chubby Hubby likes.  Find a few you like.  Make then often.  Play.

Frondly, Fern

No comments:

Post a Comment