Monday, March 12, 2012

Hamanatashen Failure

Blessings Darlings!

Last week the festival of Purim started, Wednesday night at sundown. It's a Jewish festival that celebrates the salvation of the Jewish people as recorded in the book of Esther.  It's a fun holiday, where folks dress up, drink heavily, etc.

I'd probably celebrate it even if my son wasn't Jewish for the party aspects.

But since 'Esther' and "Mordachai" there are probably revised versions of the Pagan Gods Isthar and Marduk, and nothing like the events in the book were actually recorded during the reign of the king mentioned in the book (Xerxes 1 or 2, I've forgotten which it was supposed to be), I figure it has it's roots in some pre-Judeo/Christian/Islamic Pagan spring festival anyway.

So I figured I'm make Hamantashen, one of the traditional foods eaten then.  It's a 3 cornered cookie with a fruit or seed filling.  But I had pie on my mind*** so figured I'd try  making them with pie crust instead of with a cookie base.

It didn't work well.  The pie crust was GREAT.  I used the all-butter pie crust recipe from America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book, known around our house as "Big Blue". However, the pie dough didn't hold the shape, so flopped over into a circle topped with the blueberry filling.  NOT at all Hamantashen.

OTOH, they tasted GREAT, and were a lovely dessert.  But I had to have the Spawn pick up REAL Hamantashen on the way home.

Failure still tasted good.

Frondly, Fern

*** This COMING Wednesday is Pi Day, March 14, as in the mathematical Pi, which is 3.14(etc). I was working on figuring out what Pies to have for dinner that day - Should the main course be Shepherds? 4-can? Pizza? Pasties? Pot Pie? And what sweet pie for dessert?

No comments:

Post a Comment