Thursday, September 1, 2011

Frakkin' Stinkbugs

Blessings, Darlings!

The garden is going great guns right now.  I've lots of green beans in the fridge to get thru' the next week or 10 days 'till my next bean patch starts producing.  I've lots of zucchini.  The tomatoes are still behind, and I noticed a very wasp-larva-encrusted tomato horn worm on them.  I have no clue if the sweet potatoes are doing anything but producing incredible amounts of vines.  Tasty-leaved vines, to be sure.  

But I've had to remove two of the 3 zucchini hills due to wilt.  Or maybe because of stink bugs sucking the life out of them and killing them.  I really don't know which. 

So I'm putting out a stink bug trap that I saw online.  I do NOT know if it will work effectively, but it has the advantage of being cheap.  I took an empty 2 liter soda bottle.  I cut the funnel top off.  I turned on a small battery powered LED light and put it inside.  I inverted the funnel top back on.  I put it in the garden at dusk.

Tomorrow morning I'll see if it worked.  Or if we'll get rain and if that will kill the light (and maybe take a few bugs with it?)

Stay tuned ....

Frondly, Fern the killer

1 comment:

  1. We got the rain last night, and only one stick bug. Did the rain keep them hiding under leaves?

    Experiment will continue!

    ReplyDelete