Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dry Soup

Blessings, Darlings!

The other day I did a soup experiment.  Well, let me back up a little.....

Over the past few years I've dried a whole LOT of veggies. I have not USED most of those veggies.  Now that the food storage and I share the same office, I've heard them calling my name, asking to be used.

So I did.

Dried veggies aren't always the easiest things to re-hydrate.  Therefore I decided to make them into an experimental soup.  A quart of water.  Two bouillon cubes. A double handful of dried tomatoes - I chose the somewhat ... uh ... over-dried ones (some might call them burnt, the Chubby Hubby generously calls them 'smoke flavored'). A handful each of dried wild green onions, eggplant, carrots, potatoes. Cover.  Simmer for a few hours.  Add leftover cooked wheat berries and some just-cooked chickpeas.

It worked! The tomatoes even DID add a nice smoky flavor.

This food drying stuff might just be a good idea.

Frondly, Fern

Other vaguely connected links: Drying Pumpkins
                                                     Tomatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment