Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Bugs. I got 'em.

Blessings Darlings!

Yesterday evening I noticed the squash bugs are back.  Leaf damage, some wilting, lots of eggs, some nymphs, and two of them mating - the bastards.  And the beans are being attacked by bean beetles.  I'm going to have to treat them all.  Because eating matters.  I went out and finally found one lone bottle of spray-on bug killer - and it was Sevin, not my favorite.  But at least I have some pesticide for them.  And, yeah, I harvested the squash early today, and will treat the plants now, so at least there will be some gap between treatment and the next harvest.  Spawn has agreed to help, and we'll removed detritus and spray when the garden is in the shade later this afternoon.

Sitting in the twilight last night, I heard a catbird, greater horned owl, the wrens, and the swallows.  The swallows didn't put on the nice air show last night, tho'.  The Saharan dust must have eased for last night, because the moon was way less obscured.

I'm making kahlua this afternoon as well.  The Chubby Hubby didn't tell me when he finished the last bottle.  But he likes it to 'age' before he starts drinking it - so when he opens the back up bottle, he really needs to let me know so I can start the new batch.  This batch will barely have enough time to age.  Aging, in this case, means the vanilla bean in it flavors it.





Spawn and I cleared some detritus, smashed some egg clusters and two pairs of mating squash bugs, as well as sprayed the squash and the beans and the cucs and the unknown volunteer plant that's clearly in that family.  Garden is desperate for more water, but it will have to wait for tomorrow.



Anthony Fauci spoke before a congressional committee.  His message is, pretty much, we're screwed. Since there is no actual national plan to handle the coronavirus, we will soon hit 100,000 new cases a day.  I hope Bob and I somehow avoid getting it. 


Time to make the dinner type stuff. 

Frondly, Fern

No comments:

Post a Comment