Monday, April 14, 2014

Start Menu - Part 3 - Energy Work for Beginners

Blessings Darlings!

In preparing to write this segment, I pulled more than a dozen books off my bookshelves to see what THEY said about beginning energy work.  The books, none aimed at  adepts or masters or anything, ranged from Women's Spirituality to Qabala to Ceremonial Magic and beyond, and since I couldn't find my copy of The Spiral Dance yet I looked at the index of that one online.





Only three of those books addressed energy work at all.  A fact that drives me a little crazy (or crazier, depending on your frame of reference).  That's because, for me, being able to sense and direct energy is one of those fundamentally important things in both  magic and spirituality.  Directing energy because you are going to use it to make magic circles, to power your magic, to send offerings/etc to the God/dess/es, and so on, and sensing energy because you'll want to do divination, to sense the return of what you send out, to actually know if a God/dess is responding, and so on.

Interestingly, all three authors have strong Wiccan roots.  The authors and books are Scott Cunningham in "Wicca, A guide for the solitary practitioner", Starhawk in "The Spiral Dance", and Ivo Dominguez, Jr. in "Casting Sacred Space: The Core of All Magickal Work" as well as in his book "Spirit Speak:  Knowing and Understanding Spirit Guides, Ancestors, Ghosts, Angels, and the Divine." [Disclosure - Ivo is one of the elders of the Assembly of the Sacred Wheel, and I'm a member of the Assembly.  I also consider him to be a good friend.  Still, I claim to be unbiased in these book recommendations] [and I paid for almost all my copies of these books, except for one of my copies of "Castings" which I won from Weiser books - and that was an updated version of the book, after I already bought and loved the original version]

Everyone 'feels'/'senses' magical/spiritual/psychic energies differently.  To some it feels electrical, others hot/cold, others get visual cues, some smell things, some hear it, some get odd body feelings, etc.  You'll figure out over time what cues you into it in the general world around you.

For today, I'm going to talk about first steps in feeling and shaping energy.  Yes, fans, we're talking about psi balls! 

Here's a nice online tutorial: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Psi-Ball

It would be especially good if you can practice that with a partner, but the #1 point is just to practice.

Frondly, Fern





No comments:

Post a Comment