Monday, October 15, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Lattes

Blessings Darlings!

Starting last year, the fall hype about Pumpkin Spice Lattes got my attention.  The hype is greater this year, and that 'rumor of unknown origin' that Starbucks 'is running out of' the stuff made my inner marketer smirk.  Ah, ADDED urgency - not just the limited time it's available, but now limited amounts!  Everyone to Starbucks, NOW!

Now, pumpkin spice lattes DO taste good.  But why would I buy one?  That has GOT to be one of the easiest things to make at home.  So today I brewed a pot of it.  On top of my usual dark grounds I added the spices.  While it brewed I figured the costs, because I'm like that.

The 24 ounces of coffee, with another 4 oz of half and half added, would equal a 28 oz cuppa. Let's say that would be around $5 at FiveBucks.  Cost to me to make it - 60 Cents.  That includes coffee, half and half, and spices.  I did not figure in coffee filter, water, electricity, or washing the pot costs. Five cents would be a SWAG estimate for those things.  So - 65 cents vs $5.  Maybe add a few more cents if I added whipped cream, but I didn't.

Not only does it cost less at home, but I can have this anytime, and without having to put on clothes or drive and use gasoline or incur any other car expenses. 

Now, I did NOT measure what I put in, so I'm going to give you estimates here. For one 4 cup pot of coffee, add -

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp FRESHLY GROUND nutmeg - pre-ground nutmeg has zero flavor
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground ginger - I may have used a bit more of this, to be honest. I like ginger a lot.

As always, adjust to your tastes.  You are not me. I am not you.

Frondly, Fern

No comments:

Post a Comment