Tuesday, May 11, 2010

LWMonday On Tuesday: Rehab

Blessings, Darlings!

Sorry about the delay in getting this Monday post up - I simply forgot to blog yesterday.

In this weeks wellness, let's talk about handling setbacks. Physical setbacks. Like the damn tendonitis I have in myknee at this time. And that I've previously had in my forearm, and in my shoulder.

For, you see, starting or increasing the difficultly of an exercise program can lead challenges. Tendonitis, sprains, strains, stress fractures, etc, are all possibilities. Fortunately the tendonitis and strains are the most common.

With tendonitis and muscle strains sometimes you know when you got it, sometimes you don't. I know when the tendon in my knee got pissy - when I increased the height of the exercise step. It felt bad, I went back to the lower step, finished the workout, and have had pain ever since.

On the other hand - uh, limb - the forearm tendonitis came from no obvious source. But suddenly lifting a glass of water from the floor while seated on a chair (and doing dishes, and some other tasks) hurt so bad that I'd drop what I was lifting.

How does one treat injuries like this? You use RICE. Plus anti-inflamatories.

REST
ICE
COMPRESSION (more used with muscle issues than tendon issues)
ELEVATION (More used with muscle issues than tendon issues)


Praise the Gods, and pass the ibuprofen.

Frondly, Fern

No comments:

Post a Comment