Monday, November 12, 2012

Home Made Bacon

Blessings Darlings!

Finances here are still miserable. We, however, are NOT miserable.

Yes, we're feeding 3 adults and two picky cats on what the three humans would get on food stamps.  Which we are of course not on, because our money problems are all around paying of debt from starting the business, not lack of income per year (not that the income in evenly spread out, but that's a different issue).

We keep getting showered with blessings.

Today, for instance.  I'm typing on Sunday afternoon.  Sunday mornings we have a family tradition of eggs with bacon or sausage for breakfast.  But we haven't bought any of that stuff in ages - since the price on both went up when our finances went down (back to that 'unevenly spread income' thing).  BUT - friend Suz gave me some pork bellies, after she and one of her other friends split an organic pastured hog some time back (I expect it was a heritage breed, too, but I am not sure).  Suz didn't know what to do with them, and she knows that I'm .... willing to experiment.  So when I last smoked a pork shoulder for pulled pork, I smoked the two slabs of side meat.  I didn't think to brine them, so I  just did one plain and one with rub.  Today we tried the plain one.

OMG Yummy!  I needed to salt the slices we cut before frying them - brining would have covered that - but this rich taste, so incredibly meaty, very smoky, was amazing.

I'll be bringing some of the sliced bacon over to Suz, who now has some soup bones from the last steer she split with others on hold for me.

Life is lovely.

Frondly, Fern

1 comment:

  1. One of the many things I love about you, you wildly tall and fabulous woman. You aren't afraid to talk about the 'unevenly spread income' thing and you go for all that gusto.Love to you, as well as thanks for your splendid attitude.

    ReplyDelete