Thursday, July 1, 2010

Water, Water NOWHERE!

Blessings, Darlings!

I just got emergency e-mail from my city - mandatory water restrictions are in place, due to water main issue. No outside water use allowed (watering, car washing), no flushing toilets after urination, limit use of dish and clothes washers, take quicker showers, etc. Repairs are expected to take 4 days.

You already know that water is one of the necessities of life. "They" say that we need a minimum of 1 gallon a day for drinking & cooking - more if you add hygene, dishwashing, laundry, other household cleaning, and pets.

I, of course, and in the midst of rotating my stored water here. I had planned on washing and refilling 5 5-gallon containers 4 2-liter ones. I'd just finished emptying them! So I'm going to be low on emergency water for at least 4 days. Oh, I have a 3 day supply of 1 gallon each freshly filled and in place, but the deep supplies were just emptied.

And since we're in a drought, that's going to be a bit of a problem for my garden. I have probably 12 to 15 gallons left in the rain barrel and that's it. That ought to get the garden thru' the next 4 days, but it will be close - no rain is forecast, and the heat comes back for the 4th of July on into next week.

At least I don't NEED to do laundry. I just stripped the linens, but they can wait 4 days (or more, I have some depth in linens).

Still, this is not a total 'no water' situation. We have water, lower pressure of course, and we're under orders to use at least 1/3 less. I have enough water in the rain barrel to get the garden thru' 4 days.

So we'll be fine, but I won't be able to wash and top of the supplies for an ACTUAL emergency, and I do NOT like feeling this vulnerable.

I'd like to pick up another two 2 1/2 gallon containers of spring water, but I suppose I don't really NEED them. I'm trying to train myself to not throw money at every 'issue', but let time and creativity work on them. Ironically, earlier today I clipped coupons for 'Wet Ones' wipes, figuring I should get some of those when they go on sale, for water emergencies. But, again, I'll not buy them since it's not a full-on 'need' and they are not on sale this week.

Never a dull moment, eh?

Frondly, Fern

No comments:

Post a Comment