Sunday, October 2, 2011

Baby, it's cold outside

Blessings Darlings!

Actually, it's cold AND damp.  Rain, and the temperature hasn't gotten out of the 40's in days.  It's a colder snap than usual this early in the year. 

So we're trying to acclimate to fall/winter temperatures a bit earlier than we'd like to.  The Chubby Hubby even turned on the heat in the bedroom last night!  The house is 63 now, instead of 78.  I'm very unhappy - I have a cold and I'd be uncomfortable under the best of circumstances, and this is ... okay, it's a first world problem.  We CAN turn on the heat.  We CAN afford it right now. 

Since the weather is no longer nasty hot, I'm back to making soup and we're having that for most lunches.  Last week I made Huge Batch O' Chili. We're still eating that, and there's a half gallon in the freezer for some other time.  I'll probably make Barley Veggie with Beef next - we love us some barley!  The guys will probably insist on chicken noodle after that - they are kind of predictable.

Soups have been one of my favorite foods since I was a baby, apparently.  My Mother says that I couldn't get enough the first time she fed me chicken noodle soup.  I immediately became a soup addict.  Or at least a salt addict.  It's likely that was the first salty food I was given as an infant.

I often make soup in big enough batches that I can freeze a couple of quarts for some time when I'm too busy to make more.  I consider that good use of the freezer.  I'd probably can some of it but I'd have to can the full batch to fill the canner, and then what would we eat immediately?  Okay, that's not an insurmountable problem.

To sum up today's post:  Weather cold, soup good.

Frondly, Fern

No comments:

Post a Comment