Sunday, October 24, 2010

Proof Reading

Blessings, Darlings!

I've been breaking in some new cookbooks and new recipes lately, and have noticed a HUGE problem:  apparently publishing houses have cut back on proofreaders.  I know how Beef with Broccoli is supposed to taste, for example, and it does NOT require 2 tablespoons of chopped ginger for one pound of meat.  Two TEAspoons, maybe, but not two TABLEspoons. 

Another recent recipe for blue corn pancakes called for 1/3 teaspoon of baking powder or soda, I've forgotten which already, for 2 cups of dry materials.  I've been making pancakes for years - for this 3 teaspoons would have been more appropriate. 

Yes, cookbooks have had occasional 'Errata sheets' in them for years.  But the problem has seems to have increased over the last few years.  I HOPE that most folks using them have skills and self confidence enough that they are able to look at the recipe and change the amounts they use on the fly, rather than blindly following and then blaming themselves for the failures, but I fear that too many users aren't there yet.

Frondly, Fern

No comments:

Post a Comment