Monday, June 14, 2010

LW Monday: Family History

Blessings, Darlings!

Sorry about missing last week. I'm dealing with the dang knee NOW OFFICIALLY DIAGNOSED AS TORN MEDIAL MENISCUS. I've gotten a list of physical therapy exercises for it, as that is the preferred treatment over surgery. I'll be going those for the next 6 - 8 weeks. If I'm still in pain then ... off to Orthopedic surgeon.

Anyway....

This week let's talk about family medical history. Mine is as complex as anyone else's: high triglyerides and gout on Mom's side, along with late-onset dementia and a 50% chance of having the Jewish colon cancer gene; breast cancer on Dad's side, along with his heart disease.

But those are the easy things to see. Mom and I are sort of the 'medical memory' for her side of the family. So when I had my kidney stone and I reflected about urinary issues in the family, I saw a pattern of illnesses there - specifically 'twisted uterers' in my son's generation. It's most visible in my grandmother's daughter's daughters daughters - 60% of those girls have had to have surgery for it - but it's affected others in that generation as well.

So go forth and compile as much of your family medical history as you can. If you can get it for everyone from your grandparents out to your generation (or beyond) of aunts/uncles/cousins, get that as well as your parents and siblings.

Frondly, Fern

1 comment:

  1. I must call myself lucky when it comes to this. I have no hereditary illnesses on any side. No cancer, no heart disease that isn't self-inflicted or stress induced. The only thing I've found that might be hereditary, is that both me and my mom have something in our joints causing pain (so far undiagnosed).

    ReplyDelete