Friday, June 25, 2010

Hot town, summer in the city

Blessings, Darlings!

It hit 100 degrees here yesterday. Not typical for this area this early in the year, but not unheard of, either.

I'm trying to adjust to this 'summer' stuff, but I hate it. I've turned the air conditioning two degrees warmer, to encourage my body to get over itself. Blech. Eighty degrees is not what I want my house to be at during the day. Now that it's after 5 pm I've got it set for 78 degrees.

I'm hoping that the weather folks are right, and that we'll 'only' be in the 80's for a while the middle of next week.

In my attempts to keep the house cool, I tried cooking some lentils outside, while I was inside. The idea was to go out and keep an eye on them. What really happened was that I forgot about them - while they were on high heat, before even turning them down to a simmer. As a result, they burned and probably ruined a good pot. Then I did it again, in a pot they couldn't ruin. Same result - burned 'em instead of simmering them.

Not cost effective. In fact, downright STUPID, especially the second time.

Third time I cooked them inside, and set a timer. That worked. And I cooked wheat berries by bringing them to a boil inside then putting them outside to simmer, and set a timer. That worked, too.

How's summer treating all y'all?

Frondly, Fern

No comments:

Post a Comment