Sunday, September 27, 2009

Real vs Americanized Food

Heya, Fronds!

I've decided that it's time to expand the number of Chinese cooking sauces that I can make ... from 'one' to 'more than one'. Tonight I will expand to a home made sweet and sour sauce so we can have sweet and sour fried pork wontons. Since it will be a main course instead of the appetizer it was meant to be I'm increasing the paltry amount of green pepper, tomato, and pineapple chunks in the dish twofold. Especially since the peppers and tomatoes are from the garden, and the can of pineapple has twice what I need.

Coincidentally, several of the folks I follow on Twitter have mentioned eating at P. J. Chang's, a "Chinese Bistro", lately. So last night I printed their menu. Pretty basic Chinese, some with French words added (WTF????) and jacked-up prices. Whatever.

Husband looked at the menu and opined that it probably appeals to the same folks who like the Macaroni Grill or Carrabba's for pasta - folks who have never been exposed to anything but American versions of Chinese or Italian food. That might be. We like one Italian place not too far from us (I'm sure that there are many REAL Italian places in Baltimore itself!) and one Italian restaurant in Phoenix, where the three of us usually split a 5 course meal.

Well, I have to decide if I'm going to open a jar of cherries for the wontons. The dish calls for about 6, which seems silly to open a can for. But then I'd get to eat the rest of the cherries!


Frondly, Fern

1 comment:

  1. I just go with what I like to eat. Some of the americanizations can be really yummy! My main criteria are 1)how fresh do the ingredients taste and 2) do the sauces seem to contain additives and extra sugar or salt. You can find problems with both authentic and americanized stuff.
    Personally, I like to make up my own versions or find them on the internet. For example, you can find PF Chang's lettuce wraps. OMG tasty when you make them at home.

    ReplyDelete