So you want to get started in magic/Pagan spirituality/mysticism/whatever. Congratulations! But where do you start? I take a Maslovian view of this - that you start with the mundane.
Therefore, you'd start with things like:
* Eating right
* Getting some daily exercise
* Getting and keeping your house clean
* Addressing any physical health issues you have
* Addressing any mental health issues you have
* Addressing any financial issues you have
* Get in the habit of making a daily/weekly/monthly (at least these three levels) to-do list, and work that list.
* Addressing any other outstanding mundane issues you have. IRS? Legal issues? Relationship issues? Housing issues? There are tons of things that fit in here.
You don't have to totally solve all your mundane issues you have before starting magical/spiritual working, but you have acknowledge them, and be working on a plan to deal with them.
Why? For several reasons.
First of all,, these actions reduce major distractions in your life/day. Reducing distractions gives you more time and energy to do the work you want to do. There are plenty of guided meditations out there that begin with "put all your daily concerns on a scroll, and put it aside for safekeeping. You'll be able to pick it up again after you do this exercise." If you already have them on a physical (or electronic) list, and already have started dealing with those concerns, it really is easier to put them aside for a time.
Second, you're a beginner. Much of the work you'll be doing in the future will revolve around developing your will. All of these things do that, too. And unlike a lot of the internal will-work you'll be doing ... these goals are easily measurable. Did you or did you not eat 5 or more servings of fruit and veggies today? Did you or did you not exercise? Are your dishes done? All yes or no answers.
That's the mundane starting list. Go for it!