Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Inducing Sleep

Blessings Darlings!

Among the many and varied things I've taken on lately, I'm finally getting around to something I should have done decades ago - programming myself to fall asleep on cue.  I often have issues with insomnia (both type - delay in falling asleep and waking in the middle of the night and being unable to fall asleep again easily).  Thus, the need to program myself.

The plan is to put in place a two-part program.  One part is a specific physical relaxation technique (and I've had to pick one I don't use for other purposes, like for astral projection preparations or other things); the other part is to pick/create a mantra to repeat just for falling asleep.

I'm still working on the mantra part.  I DID hit one of the 'quotations' websites to select a bunch of quotes that might work (some with some adjustment) as the mantra.  The quotes I'll be selecting from are:

So, next time you see someone sleeping, make believe you're in a science fiction movie. And whisper, 'The creature is regenerating itself.”  George Carlin, Brain Droppings

“Sleep is my lover now, my forgetting, my opiate, my oblivion.”
― Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler's Wife

“Sleep my little baby-oh
Sleep until you waken
When you wake you'll see the world
If I'm not mistaken...

Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book

“Man is a genius when he is dreaming.”
― Akira Kurosawa

“There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.”
― Homer, The Odyssey

“I crave the sweet surrender of sleep and my dreams' uncensored communication: no tiresome small talk, sucking up to impress, or tiptoeing around charged topics. Dreams are the naked truth; get ready for it.”
― Judith Orloff

“Eat healthily, sleep well, breathe deeply, move harmoniously.”
― Jean-Pierre Barral

The message of the lullaby is that it’s okay to dim the eyes for a time, to lose sight of yourself as you sleep and as you grow: if you drift, it says, you’ll drift ashore: if you fall, you will fall into place.”
― Kevin Brockmeier

“I breathe slowly and deeply. I make my eyes still under eyelids, I make my mind still, and soon, Sleep, seeing a perfect reproduction of himself, comes to be united with his facsimile.”
― Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler's Wife

 ‘Do not let your hearts be troubled,’ she said. ‘Tonight you shall sleep in peace.’
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

“We sleep, allowing gravity to hold us, allowing Earth- our larger body- to recalibrate our neurons, composting the keen encounters of our waking hours (the tensions and terrors of our individual days), stirring them back, as dreams, into the sleeping substance of our muscles. We give ourselves over to the influence of the breathing earth. Sleep is the shadow of the earth as it seeps into our skin and spreads throughout our limbs, dissolving our individual will into the thousand and one selves that compose it- cells, tissues, and organs taking their prime directives now from gravity and the wind- as residual bits of sunlight, caught in the long tangle of nerves, wander the drifting landscape of our earth-borne bodies like deer moving across the forested valleys.”
― David Abram, Becoming Animal: An Earthly Cosmology

“And then, despite all these concerns, Arnette felt her mind begin to loosen, the images of the day unwinding inside her like a spool of thread, pulling her down into sleep.”
― Justin Cronin, The Passage

“Sleep is closing your eyes and trusting you will heal.”
― Danielle Barone, Releasing A Toxic Person

“Whatever it may bring, I will live by my own policies, I will sleep with a clear conscience, I will sleep in peace.”
― Sinead O'Conner

 She falls asleep like someone yielding to the gentle tug of a warm tide, and floats with confidence till morning.
― Julian Barnes, A History of the World in 10½ Chapters

 He was sleepy. He felt sleep coming. He curled up under the blanket and went to sleep.”
― Ernest Hemingway, The Nick Adams Stories

I like so many of the quotes!  But, by the end of the day, I shall decide on one and start programming myself tonight.

Frondly, Fern

2 comments:

  1. I love to pretend I'm falling asleep in different places: A padded platform in a tree accessible by a rope ladder, a hammock on the beach, a ball pit (yes, I am 5), a bed-sized box filled with beanbags, a poster bed with bedcurtains, a nest high on the side of a tower, a warm underground room with a cozy pallet under a skylight.

    ReplyDelete