Friday, March 26, 2010

Location, Location, Location

Blessings, Darlings!

Last time I posted on altars I talked about simplifying what is on them. This time it's about where you have them .... but I'll start with a bit about how many some folks have.

Oddly enough, given my 'simplifying' post, I have a lot of altars. Three in the living room and one or two upstairs in various rooms. And, of course, the blessed forsythia in the yard were I make offerings as well.

As I might have mentioned in a previous post, the living room altars are pretty much in an Ar nDraiocht Fein Druid set up: one for nature spirits/land, one for Ancestors/water, one for Gods/sky. Having them in a heavily used (by me) part of the house makes keeping them dusted easy and using them a natural part of my everyday life.

And I do work with the Gods altar on a daily basis. On that altar is my 'healing cauldron'. In it I keep slips of paper with people/animals/things I want to keep in front of the Gods, so to speak, and send energy to as often as possible. Requests for healing/energy go in the cauldron (usually with the date on them, and they get removed after a moon cycle or so), the name of the various pagan groups I'm in live in there, as does a general 'family' slip of paper. Candles get lit for them at least once a week.

The other two altars in the living room I make offerings on weekly or so. It could well be argued that I should work with the nature spirits and ancestors daily, tho.

Upstairs I have altars that I do more 'involved' workings on. If I was doing something like one of Raymond Buckland's multiday candle rituals for changing luck, and moving candles closer to the center each day, then I'm going to work in a place where the rest of the family won't move things 'for' me, or the cats won't knock things over. Which means upstairs in my office, keeping the door closed while the multi day working goes on.

Those are my 'formal' altars. Then there are the other places I do workings ....

Ironing board.
Vegetable Garden.
Compost heap.
Herb Garden.
The stand of poison ivy.
etc.

In fact, since I'm in the Assembly of the Sacred Wheel Wiccan tradition, and the goal of the Assembly is to re-enchant the world, so perhaps in time the entire world will be my altar.... or not, given humans and our property rights.


Frondly, Fern

No comments:

Post a Comment